September 5, 2026

“love is the foundation of every thing”

I asked ‘Abdu’l-Baha what could be done to increase our numbers and make the work more effective.

He said the one essential, the only-thing to do was that the members of the little groups should love each other very much and be devoted friends. The more they loved each other, the more the meetings would attract and draw others, and the more they loved, the more their influence would be felt. He said we must consider all people—not only believers—to be good. He hoped every one would be good.

He added,

“I say this for you in English. I do not often do that; but I say also in English, that you may understand how much I mean it, that love is the foundation of every thing and that all must be good.” 

- ‘Abdu’l-Baha (Words of ‘Abdu’l-Baha recorded by Ethel J. Rosenberg, during her pilgrimage in January 1909; Star of the West, vol. 7, no. 11, September 27, 1916)